7.13.2008

Trouble With Angels
















Seems we climbed up to where angels trod. Angels must be pretty fit because the hike was VERY strenuous. It's length was five miles and it took us about 4-5 hours to complete. The name of it is called "Angels Landing" in Zion National Park. We started out the morning @ about 6:30 a.m. and headed up to the Park. We had initially decided not to take the hike because it was sprinkling out and there was thunderstorms in the forecast. But after a hearty breakfast in the town of Springdale (on the doorstep of Zion) we thought we would give it a try. It is the most popular hike in the park and there were several making their attempts along w/us. I couldn't help but notice the faces of those who were descending. They seemed quite pleased w/themselves. By the time we were 1/2 mile away from the top (which is where it really starts to get difficult) we were all pretty winded and wondering what we had committed ourselves to. We looked up to the summit and the only one who didn't say "I'm scared" was the 'hub', but you need to remember he is part goat so such things seems to come easy to him. I have posted pics to give you an idea of the difficulty as well as the views along the way. You know it's pretty scary when you get close to the top and it is lined w/heavy chain attached to steel posts in the rock so that you have something to hold onto as you heave your body straight upward. There were times I wanted to turn back but how could I with everyone else pressing onward, I certainly didn't want to be a 'pantie girl'. When we did finally make the summit the views were awesome. I know it sounds corny but I grew some new brain cells along the way as well as confidence it accomplishing something that I found to be very scary.

1 comment:

katie said...

I'm going on this hike!!! I'll beat everyone to the top!!!